Skip to main content

Idaho Foreign LLC Registration

Need to bring your business into Idaho? You’ll need to submit a Foreign Registration Statement to the Idaho Secretary of State. In this case, “foreign” just means your LLC was first formed outside of Idaho. You’ll need an Idaho registered agent address, a certificate of existence from your home state, and $104 to submit the statement online ($120 if sent by mail). Luckily, Idaho Registered Agent service can get all the state required filings done for you and serve as your registered agent.

Let Idaho Registered Agent File Your LLC Registration – $135 + state fees

Do I Need to Foreign Register My LLC in Idaho?

Idaho provides more information on what doesn’t require foreign registration, than what does! In general, the following activities would mean you need to foreign register your business in Idaho:

  • have employees in Idaho
  • maintain a location in Idaho that makes money selling products or services
  • sell or lease Idaho properties

If you have any doubts on if you need to foreign register your company in Idaho, consult a business attorney or accountant to make sure.

What to Do Before Registering a Foreign LLC in Idaho

If you prefer to DIY the Foreign Registration Statement, there are a few things to do beforehand to make the process quicker and easier:

Check for business name availability

Your LLC name is only unique in your home state. It can be used by other people in other states, so it’s best to make sure it’s available in Idaho first. A quick look using the Idaho Business Search site will let you know if your name will be accepted, or if you’ll need to operate in Idaho under an alternate name.

If it turns out your original LLC name is not available in Idaho, you simply choose an alternate name and enter it on line 2 of the Foreign Registration Statement application. There is no additional fee for processing your statement with an alternate name.

Order a Certificate of Existence

You will need to order a Certificate of Existence (aka: Certificate of Good Standing) from your company’s domestic state to send in with your Idaho foreign statement. The date on this certificate needs to be within 90 days of the date you submit your foreign statement to Idaho. The cost and processing time of ordering your Certificate of Existence differs from state to state, so call your local Secretary of State’s office for this information.

Find an Idaho Registered Agent

According to Idaho Uniform Business Organizations Code § 30-21-402, all domestic and foreign business entities are required to designate and maintain an Idaho registered agent. This registered agent must have a physical Idaho address and be available there during business hours to receive official legal and state mail for your business. Also, the name and address of the registered agent is public information. This makes serving as your own registered agent less desirable than hiring a service.

We are here at our Idaho office during all business hours to safely receive your business mail. Also, use our address instead of your own on all state filings to maintain your privacy! Here are some other benefits our service provides:

  • Filing Service– We can prepare and submit all your Idaho business filings
  • FREE Forms Library – all Idaho business forms with DIY instructions available for download
  • FREE Online Client Portal– View your state and legal mail, order filings and manage services from your computer or mobile phone
  • FREE Annual Report Reminder Service– We notify you in advance of your LLC’s annual report deadline & prepare the filing to save you time
  • Idaho Business Experts– call or email us with all your Idaho LLC questions

We understand that running a business can get hectic! Let us deal with your state filings and mail, while protecting your privacy, so you can focus on the details of your company.

Get Idaho Registered Agent Service Today! $35 per year

How to DIY the Idaho Foreign Registration Statement

The 11 steps of the application form are detailed below:

  1. Entity Name: as it appears on the state record in your home state
  2. Entity Name in Idaho: place your Alternate Name here if your original entity name is not available in Idaho. If your original entity name is available, but does not include the entity identifier (LLC, L.L.C., Limited Liability Company, etc.), you must add your entity name with an entity identifier in Idaho
  3. Entity Type: check the box of your entity type
  4. Jurisdiction of Formation: enter the home state (domestic state) of your company
  5. Principal Office Address: this can be an Idaho address, or the address of your company in your home state, or our Idaho registered agent address
  6. Domestic Principal Office Address: as it is listed on your home state’s record
  7. Mailing Address: the address you would prefer the state of Idaho to send business mail (ex: annual report notices)
  8. Idaho Registered Agent info: name and address of your registered agent in Idaho
  9. Govenor Name & Address: the name and address of at least one LLC member or manager (in Idaho, LLC members/managers are referred to as “governors”)
  10. Signature & Contact info: when the application is completed, you will print and sign your name, state your “capacity” or title in relation to the applying company
  11. Contact Information: place your contact phone and email here in case the state has questions about this application

The Idaho Foreign Registration Statement can be filed online, by mail, or in person. The base fee is $100 and generally takes the state 10-15 business days to process the application.

To file online:

  • Visit the Idaho SOSBiz login site to create an account
  • After you login, you can choose to add extra fees to expedite processing
  • Complete each of the 11 steps listed above
  • Upload a .pdf copy of your Certificate of Good Standing (aka: Certificate of Existence) from your home state
  • Continue to payment screen ($100 state processing fee + $4 credit card processing fee)

To file by mail:

  • Download and complete the Idaho Foreign Registration Statement
  • Mail your completed application, copy of your Certificate of Good Standing (aka: Certificate of Existence), and a check or money order made out to Idaho Secretary of State for $120 ($100 foreign registration fee + $20 manual processing fee, plus any optional processing fees) to:

Idaho Secretary of State
PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0080

To file in person:

  • Bring a copy of the completed Idaho Foreign Registration Statement, the Certificate of Good Standing (aka: Certificate of Existence), and payment of $120 ($100 foreign registration fee + $20 manual processing fee, plus any optional processing fees) to:

Idaho Secretary of State
450 N. 4th Street
Boise, ID 83720-0080

Keep in mind that Idaho is not a private state for businesses! All the information you enter for steps 1 through 10 will be available for public viewing on the Idaho State Business Search site. If the idea of having your full name and address available to the public does not appeal to you, consider hiring Idaho Registered Agent service to protect your privacy. We offer our clients complete filing services, information privacy, and more!

Quick & Easy Foreign LLC Filing Service

Our goal is to make all your state filings as quick and easy as possible! When you hire us to file your Idaho Foreign Registration Statement, our expert filers will take care of all the state requirements so you can focus on setting up your business in our state. And because we also believe in complete fee transparency, here is what you get with our service and where your money goes:

  • $35 for 1 year of Idaho registered agent service
  • $100 our filing fee
  • $104 Idaho foreign registration fee (standard processing fee, expedited processing available for additional $41 state fee)
  • FREE operating agreement (optional)
  • FREE encrypted online client portal to store your Idaho business documents, mail & manage services
  • FREE Annual Report reminder service
  • Total = $239

The only fee not mentioned above is for the Certificate of Existence from your domestic state. Costs vary from state to state, so the filing fee for the certificate will be added when you order our services and choose your home state. Already have a Certificate of Existence dated within 90 days? Great! You can email it to us to use and we’ll remove that fee from your order. We look forward to teaming up with your business and helping it grow in Idaho!

Get Our LLC Foreign Registration Filing Service Today! $135 + state fees

Does Idaho Require an Annual Report?

Yes, Idaho requires all domestic and foreign registered LLCs to file an annual report. It is free to file this report using their online system, or it can be submitted in person or by mail with a $20 manual processing fee. Annual reports are due each year by the last day of your LLC’s anniversary month. So, if your LLC foreign registered into Idaho on June 12th, the annual report would be due each year by the end of June 30th.

Idaho does not charge a late fee if you forget to file the report on time. However, if this report is not filed within 60 days of the due date, the state will cancel your foreign registration and authority to do business in Idaho. If you hire us to be your registered agent, we’ll send you free reminders about this report! You can also hire us to file this report for you so you won’t have to list your name and address on public state record.

FAQ section

Still have some questions about doing business in Idaho? Check out the information below or give us a call during business hours at (208) 415-0650. Our local Idaho business experts can help you find all the answers you need!

Is my LLC information private in Idaho?

No, the filings you submit for your LLC in Idaho are not private. Every filing you submit to Idaho for your business can be viewed and downloaded by anyone through the Idaho Business Search site. The only information the state keeps to themselves are the phone number and email address you provide as filing contact information.

What if I need to make changes to my foreign registered LLC?

There are a few ways to update your foreign LLC information on state record. Below is a table for what information can be updated and the filing required:

Change Needed Filing Needed Cost How to File
Name of LLC

Entity Type

Entity Jurisdiction

Principal Office & Mailing Address

Name, capacity, and mailing address of the governor(s)


Amendment of Foreign Registration Statement $30 online ($50 by mail or in person) File online: Idaho SOSbiz

By mail: Idaho Secretary of State, PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0080

In Person: Idaho Secretary of State, 450 N. 4th Street, Boise, ID 83720-0080

Registered agent name & address Statement of Change of Registerd Agent, Registered Office, or Both Base fee $0 + $20 manual processing fee By mail: Idaho Secretary of State, PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0080In Person: Idaho Secretary of State, 450 N. 4th Street, Boise, ID 83720-0080By Fax: 208-334-2080
Principal Office & Mailing Address

Name, capacity, and mailing address of the governor(s)

Registered agent name & address

Annual Report (filing window opens 60 days before your official due date) $0 if filed online, $20 by mail or in person File online: Idaho SOSbiz

By mail: Idaho Secretary of State, PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0080

In Person: Idaho Secretary of State, 450 N. 4th Street, Boise, ID 83720-0080

If you need to make any changes not listed in this table, give us a call and we’ll find that information for you: (208) 415-0650

What if I need to close my business in Idaho?

To close your foreign registered business in Idaho, you’ll need to file the “Withdrawal of Foreign Registration Statement.” The cost is $40 and must be mailed in or delivered in person to the Idaho Secretary of State. The processing time is 10-15 business days, expedited processing is available for an extra fee.

What if my company name is already being used in Idaho?

If your original company name is not available in Idaho, you simply choose a name that is available and enter that on Line 2 of the Idaho Foreign Registration Statement. Make sure to include the “entity identifier”, like LLC, L.L.C., or Limited Liability Company in the company name.

Do I need a business license in Idaho?

You may need a business license in Idaho depending on the nature of the business you have here. To make sure your business has all the professional, occupational, or state licensing it needs, check in with the Idaho Division of Occupational & Professional Licenses.

If your business has Idaho employees, sells products, or rents property, you may need special permits and licensing from Idaho. Check out the Licenses, Permits & Registrations list to see if your business qualifies.

Or, use the Idaho Business License Wizard to find out if your business qualifies for any special licensing, permits, or taxes.

How do I contact the Idaho Secretary of State?

Here are all the ways you can contact the Idaho Secretary of State’s office:

Physical Address 450 N. 4th Street
Boise, ID 83720-0080
Mailing Address PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0080
Email Address [email protected]
Phone Number 208-334-2301
Fax Number 208-334-2080